Posted: January 12, 2017
Building a Barndominium in Iowa & Illinois
What is a Barndominium?
Have you ever heard of a barndominium? The barndominium has become an increasingly popular trend in Texas that has made its way up the country into the Midwest. This neologism is a combination of barn and condominium: built to look like a barn but having all the amenities of a home. It is also referred to as a “barn home” or “barn with living quarters.”
Barndominiums can be made with steel frames or wooden frames, and are designed with an open floor plan and barn like features such as sliding barn doors, rustic wooden staircases, and large ceiling beams. Barn homes are typically built as a vacation home or weekend retreat, but can be used as main living quarters as well. With this luxury type building, being “raised in a barn” will soon become a compliment!
Barndominium Floor Plans
When building a barn home, it is important to choose the perfect layout for you and your family that will suit all your needs. Decide how many rooms you will want in your barndominium, as well as how many bathrooms you will need. If you want to build a multi-level barn with living quarters, decide which rooms you want upstairs. Many barn homes feature an open loft that can serve as an office or living area.
As for the kitchen, living room, and dining area, barndominium floor plans typically combine these three spaces in one large, open area. This way your family can interact with each other no matter where you are in your house, but still have the privacy of a bathroom, bedroom, or office space in other areas of your barn home.
Greiner Buildings can come up with a custom barndominium floor plan for your needs. We have a team of highly trained and experienced general contractors and project managers that can work with you from start to finish. From the initial blueprints and floor plans, to the 2D and 3D CAD designs, all the way to the finished barn home project, we can partner with you every step of the way to build your dream barndominium.
Advantages of Building a Barndominium
With years of experience in constructing metal buildings with living quarters, building a barndominium is simple for the team at Greiner Buildings. Our expert barndominium builders can construct the perfect barndominium for you and your family.
There are many advantages to barndominium style homes over traditional homes. Here are some reasons why people in Iowa and Illinois choose to build a barn home:
- Barndominiums can be constructed very quickly. A barn with living quarters is faster to build compared to a traditional house. Thanks to our pole barn building methods, Greiner Buildings can construct a wooden frame barndominium in no time at all.
- Barn home materials are inexpensive. It is much cheaper to build a barndominium than it is to build a conventional home. The wood materials that we use for the frame are much more affordable than steel, and offer endless customization capabilities for your barn home. Many homeowners in Iowa and Illinois choose to build a pole barn home because they can save a lot of money on building costs while still having a home of amazing quality and beauty.
- Barndominiums require little maintenance. When building a pole barn with a metal exterior, your barn home will require very little external maintenance and will last for many years to come! The metal building exterior also makes barn homes more durable, as they can stand up to the harsh weather conditions that the Midwest brings.
- Barn homes offer a unique space. Spacious open barndominium floor plans and high beam ceilings offer a beautiful atmosphere to share with family and friends. It is great while entertaining to be able to prepare food in the kitchen while still interacting with friends in the dining and living room. Also, with the open barndominium floor plan, you will be able to keep an eye on your kids without having to follow them around the house into various rooms. Open barn home floor plans also make for easy cleaning and maintenance!
- Bardominiums can match any style. From rustic, to modern, to classic, your barn with living quarters can be any style that you want it to be. Greiner Buildings can construct barndominiums with beautiful wood panel walls and wood beam ceilings and iron fixtures to create a rustic feel, as well as elegant barn homes with glass doors and beautiful crystal chandeliers. Barn homes can be made in any way that you can dream up!
What You Need To Build The Perfect Barndominium
If you are looking for the best barndominium home design for you and your family, Greiner Buildings can help you accomplish your dreams of building the perfect barn home. We are your professional barn home builders in the Midwest.
Greiner Buildings specializes in one-of-a-kind barn homes which means you can customize your barndominium any way that you want. Our team will work with you to come up with a custom barndominium floor plan that includes all of your needs. We have a 2D and 3D CAD Design team that can show you drawings of your barndominium so you can visualize exactly what it will look like before the building process even begins. Greiner Buildings has a highly trained and professional team with many years of experience. We are your barn home builders in Illinois & Iowa!
Barndominiums are the perfect solution for modern day country living. To get started with your free barndominium building quote, contact the professional barn home builders here at Greiner Buildings today. You can give us a call at 888-466-4139 or fill out our free estimate form. We look forward to working with you to create the perfect barndominium!